Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Liz Padawer


I guess I'm the first to post to the revived ISO. Not a big surprise, seeing as how my entire summer has been one big vacation free from work and typical adult responsibilities (in other words, I have a lot of free time to take pictures and write). :)

Mini-bio
I'm from Tulsa, OK and a graduate of Oklahoma State University ('07). I have a degree in Psychology and a bit of graduate work completed toward a MA in Counseling. After leaving graduate school (and sadly, my work as a photo editor/staff photographer at the college paper) I worked some crappy jobs at mental health clinics around Stillwater and Tulsa, and finally came to the realization 6 months ago that I needed something new (and better) in my life. Having been fortunate enough to have been able to save up a meager amount of $$$, I quit my job in Tulsa and moved out of my apartment in mid-April. My destination? The western US. I've been driving a lot...Roswell, White Sands National Monument, Las Cruces, Tucson, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, The Hoover Dam, Phoenix, The Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, San Diego & San Francisco are just a few of the stops I've made so far. My life has been so enriched in the last couple of months by the experiences I've had and the wonderful new friends I've made. I've finally made a decision about where I want to be and what I (truly) want to do, and I've never been so happy.

I decided to take a picture of myself reflected in this mirror because my car has been my constant companion through all of this. It has transported me everywhere (and been super-reliable to boot). I didn't bother cleaning the mirror of smudges and dust before snapping this shot because I feel like it's symbolic of what I've come from - a bit of cloudiness and uncertainty in my life has propelled me into doing something so much greater than I could have ever believed was possible. Some of the uncertainty is still present, but I can feel myself improving and growing a little wiser every day.

I look forward to what the rest of the summer has to offer, and I can't wait to see what everyone contributes to ISO!

4 comments:

Clay Lomneth said...

First let me say I wish I could be doing what you're doing. Second, if you come up toward Nebraska, be sure to let me know. It's been too long.

Really like the image, especially the story behind it. I'm most impressed by how you lit your face really well (most side-mirror shots are as dark as the inside of the car). Nice job there.

You've got a look on your face that says you're about to eff something up.

Nice job, looking forward to more.

Patrick Breen said...

love the lighting. excited to see some more of your posts.

Liz said...

Thanks guys! I actually remote set my strobe to get the nice lighting on my face. Just stuck it on a stand on my dash and hoped for the best - I was quite pleased with the way it turned out. :)

Clay, I don't think I'll be making it up to Nebraska, but I do hope we will meet again someday soon. It certainly has been way too long.

Erik Lockhart said...

Liz, I absolutely love this photo. Not even mentioning the composition, there is a raw confidence, freedom, even sexuality behind this shot. It speaks volumes to me. Through a sideview mirror even??!! My favorite thus far for sure.